This sector is responsible for the collection of garbage and supply of water to city residents.
- Water & Sewage
- Street Lighting
- Parks & Open Spaces
- Solid Waste Management
Physical Location: City Hall, 2nd Floor
Telephone: Chief Officer Environment-020-2226372
Director Environment – 020-2073846
- CECM--Veska Kangogo
- Chief Officer Environment & Natural Resources–David Makori- 0720928721
- Chief Officer Water,Sanitation & Energy-Mohamed Abdirahman- 0721290000
Environment Sub -Sector
To be a leader in provision of diverse environmental management services towards environmental sustainability.
To proactively provide efficient and effective environmental planning and management services for a clean, healthy and appealing environment for visitors and residents in Nairobi.
- Establish adequate capacity to provide quality service and respond to emerging issues.
- Institutionalize legal framework in line with the constitution.
- Achieve financial viability and sustainability.
- Promote favorable investment environment for sustainable development.
- Ensure a clean and healthy environment for the residents of the City in accordance with the Constitution.
- Deliver the highest possible quality of service to the residents of Nairobi.
- Establish adequate capacity to provide quality, efficient and effective services to the public, stakeholders and respond to emerging issues.
To manage the environment, energy, water and natural resources.
In execution of this mandate, the sector is responsible for :-
- Refuse removal, refuse dumps and solid waste disposal.
- Control of water, air and noise pollution.
- Control and regulate public nuisances.
- Manage county parks and recreation facilities.
Sub Sectors’ Achievements;-
- Conservation of Kikuyu springs through partnership with Standard Chartered Bank.
- 80 illegal discharge points have been blocked.
- 10 Kilometers of Riparian reserve have been recovered.
- Water supply projects have been completed in 12 wards.
- The City’s sewerage coverage increased from 48% to 50% as reported by WASREB 2018.
- The sector is working closely with the National Government in a face-lifting initiative dubbed Nairobi Regeneration Programme.
- Three bills and policies to be tabled in the County Assembly
- Sewer revolving fund policy in draft
- Water and Sanitation Bill and Policy
- Clean energy policy
Ongoing Flagship Projects:-
- Nairobi River Regeneration and Restoration.
- Process initiated for Energy from Waste (EfW) plant project at Dandora Dumpsite.
- Drilling of boreholes, Installation of water ATM (Automated Teller Machines), Construction Water Kiosks and Water Reticulation.
- Landscaping & beautification of Medians & shoulders roundabouts & other open spaces.
- Dandora Dumpsite improvement.
- Regular and monthly cleanups.
- Holding public sensitization and barazas.
The Sector is currently implementing the provisions of The Nairobi City County Solid Waste Management Act, 2015, enforcing Noise Pollution Regulations and other sub subsidiary legislation under the Environmental Management Coordination Act. It is in the process of developing an Environment Policy.
Water, Sanitation & Energy Sub-Sector
- To improve access to water and sanitation services to all County residents.
- To rehabilitate the main rives traversing Nairobi City County and water mass within the County.
- To reduce Non – Revenue Water to world standards.
- To increase access to clean and affordable Energy to all County residents.
- To advice the County Government on Formulation, Enactment & implementation of Water and Sanitation Policies, Legislations and Regulations.
- To develop strategies, procedures, processes and action plans for effective management of water and sanitation services.
- To provide advice and regulate on licenses and oversee the operation of county water & Sanitation service providers.
- To manage the County water resources and water quality assurance on behalf of the National.
- To oversee the control of discharge of wastewater into Nairobi river basin water courses.
- To document the Nairobi rivers network, along which riparian areas and fragile ecosystem run.
- To provide water resource management including catchment management and water quality assurance.
- To provide water and sanitation services including policy and regulation as well as monitoring service delivery.
- Oversee the control of discharge of waste water into Nairobi river basin water courses
- Document the Nairobi rivers network, along which riparian areas and fragile ecosystem run.
- To regulate energy including solar energy as well as energy from solid waste.
- To plan and develop gas and electricity reticulation.
- To Process license of energy generation application.
- Coordinate enactment of county energy laws, policies and regulations.
Sub Sector Achievements :-
- Secured support from KIWAS – USAID on the formulation of the draft Water and Sanitation Policy.
- Collaborated with Water and Sanitation for Urban Poor (WASUP) for support on the implementation of Water and Sanitation Projects.
- Collaborated with Caritus Swizterland on development of Water, Sanitation and Energy Plans for Mukuru Slums that has been identified and gazetted as a Special Planning Area (SPA).
- Received technical support from Athi Water Services Board (AWSB) and Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company (NCWSC) for implementation of Ward Based Water Projects FY 2017/2018 and 2018/2019.
Complaint Contact person:– Mario Kainga
Email Address – email@example.com